How to Work Abroad FAQ

What is living and working abroad all about?

The United Kingdom has partnerships with countries all over the world to offer reciprocal Working Holiday Visas to young adults to allow them to visit and work in their country for up to a year. Every year, hundreds of thousands of young people participate in worldwide work abroad programs, and we’re thrilled that you're interested in working in another country. This is a fantastic, once in a lifetime experience where you'll get the opportunity to gain real world experience that will directly benefit your CV, whilst getting paid to work abroad and explore new coutnries and cultures.

Where can I work abroad?

The Working Holiday Visa currently allows UK citizens to work in Australia and New Zealand. There are similar schemes available to enable you to work in Ireland, South Korea and Singapore, although StudentUniverse does not offer these programs just yet (stay tuned!)

What are the requirements to live and work abroad?

For all programs you must be:

  • between 18-30 in age
  • a UK citizen
  • of good character

Are flights included?

Flights are not included in the standard cost of your work abroad program, but a StudentUniverse travel services team member can provide you with a competitively priced youth and student discounted flight quote to make it super simple for you to get everything booked.

For those planning to explore the world, we provide student and youth travellers with access to specially discounted flights, hotels and tours worlwide. By signing up as a StudentUniverse member (for free) you'll get instant access to deals from our global network of suppliers enabling you to travel more whilst spending less.

Do I need a University degree?

No, you don't need to have a University degree to work in Australia or New Zealand.

How long do the work visas last?

The student work visa lasts one year for Australia and New Zealand, but there are additional opportunities to stay a second year dependent on the industry you work within.

Do I have to stay the entire year?

Not at all! Whilst the visa is valid for a 12 month period, you have no obligation to stay in the country for the entire duration.

Can I interview for my job before I leave the UK?

Definitely! We've built our own Work Abroad Pro package that is perfect for people that want to secure jobs whilst they're still in the UK. We are able to offer this scheme for those interested in working in: hospitality, customer service, labor/construction and gardening/landscaping.

However, if you choose to take a Work Abroad or Work Abroad Plus package, you'll need to meet your potential future employers once you've arrived in the country. Choosing to move overseas with no guaranteed offer of employment may seem frightening, but the realirty is that every single year hundreds of thousands of students participate in Work Abroad programs and businesses build in positions that rely on these travellers.

What if I can't find a job overseas?

Our dedicated work abroad job teams will work tirelessly to do everything they can to help you find the right job. As long as you're willing to put in the effort to arrange and attend interviews, and are relatively flexible with the type of work you're willing to do, you'll find employment in no time at all.

Where do I live while I am working abroad?

All of our programs include either five or seven nights accommodation in a centrally located hostel. After this, our in-country teams will advise and assist you with securing somewhere to live longer term.

How do taxes work when I am work abroad?

Our experienced work abroad job teams will work with you to ensure you obtain a tax consultation before you work home. The vast majority of people end up receiving a sizable tax refund, which is often used to fund extra travelling on the way back home! Work abroad really is the gift that keeps on giving!